Wednesday, August 4, 2010

DAY THREE...

C was prematched today.  So we started the morning with C in the training room for about 45 minutes.  They took photos and video.  CCI will be making a video to show at the graduation plus we will be getting a copy of the video (I think) and a photo cd to take home.  We did take some pictures.  But, I'm not going to post them here yet since I'm not announcing which dog C has.  Since it is only a prematch, it might change over the next week.  I will announce the dog next Friday, so the poll will go until then.

It's going to be hard to talk about the dogs without giving you a hint about which dog C has though.

After the prematch, C went back to play with Nanny S on the Wii, and we learned some more commands.  Actually, we learned a lot more commands.  I'll see if I can remember them all.:)

here
wait
lap
visit
kennel
hurry--the toilet command :)
side
heel
release
stay
OK
speak
quiet

(I did pretty good, I remembered all but 3!:) )

We also had two lectures, one on "Resistance" and the other on "Canine Behavior"

After the lecture on behavior we got to watch the dogs play together.  The trainers would let two dogs out at a time so that we could watch them play.  And the trainers would explain out to calm the dogs down when they were getting two rough, etc.  When they are with another dog, we need to watch them, we can't just let them go out in the yard and play. 

Basically, we will need to always watch the dog even when it's not "working" so that it doesn't get into things it's not supposed.

After talking to the trainers, DH and I decided we needed to stop the licking by the dog.  C loves it when dogs lick him, and he tried to get every dog he interacted with to lick him.  The trainers said, that we will not be able to train the dog not to lick other people, if it can lick C.  So we are now correcting the dog to lick whenever it licks C.  And C is being told, "no licking."

After we were done for the day, we ate a snack and took C to the beach.  He had A LOT of fun and got very wet.  When we were last at the beach 4 years ago, C barely touched the water.  It was really neat to see him jumping the waves and diving (yes, I said DIVING) into the water.  (For those who don't know, C has been extremely afraid of the water.  He is getting better, but it has taken over 8 years-he is 10-to get to the point where he will play in water above his knees or even deeper.)  I would post pictures, but my battery died, and they are all on Nanny S's camera.  I'll try to download them in a couple of days.

Now, we are back in the room watching "Fantasia", eating popcorn, and hoping C will fall asleep soon.

Tomorrow, will be our first all night with the dog.


PS--please leave a comment!  It'd be nice to see who is reading this blog.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Good for C - "diving" into the waves. I have to admit, I did not attempt that when I was there. However, It was a bit chilly that day, and that is my only excuse. :)

    I am glad you are posting the daily updates. It is fun to hear how things are going and what you are doing, especially as a puppy raiser for CCI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your Skilled Companion pre-match! Yes, we all are anxious to find out which dog was match with 'C' but it will be worth the wait to find out. Reading your blog is the first thing I do in the morning:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your blog! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to find out who your skilled companion will be. Enjoy your time in training. As a puppy raiser it's very neat to see what happens after the dogs are turned in :-)

    ReplyDelete