Monday, August 9, 2010

DAY EIGHT...

Monday...we started out our day with new commands.  We learned:

tug--to pull open doors, pull things across the floor (like a laundry basket)
back--for the dog to back up in a narrow aisle
out--for the dog to go through the door first (the service students use this command, DH and I probably won't use this one)
push--push drawers in, push buttons to open doors, etc
behind--for the dog to walk behind you

We practiced these commands for a while.  Then we went on our field trip.  This time we went to a place called "Joe's Crab Shack".  We practiced walking and dealing with distractions.  Our dog fails every time the trainers drop food in front of her.  DH has been practicing with the dog whenever we eat and also at other times of day.  (The dog really likes to eat the leaves out in the play yard.)

After lunch, the trainers talked a bit about teaching new commands.  They explained how to use "go to" in teaching the dog to find someone in different parts of the house.  It's kind of complicated to explain but it will be fun to do with C.  They also talked about teaching the dogs "snuggle" (when you teach the dog to lay next to someone in a certain position) and "crash" (when you teach the dog to lay on top of a person)  Crash is a good command for kids who need sensory input.

We ended early, so that we could practice on commands that we needed to work on.  DH and I didn't really do any practicing.  We talked about which commands we wanted to work on.  Tomorrow we will have a lot of free time in the afternoon so we will do a lot of practicing then.

OK, I said that I would announce which dog we got....(drum roll, please)...it's Dog #2, she's a female golden.

I'm finally posting some pictures!  YEAH!!!


Hangin' out in our dorm!



One of the many positions to play the Wii...

Maybe this is a better way...


I guess I need to stand up!!!


At the beach!! (This was Wed, Aug. 4th)


My pants got wet!!!


I need my sandals off!

Jumping waves!!!


Time to chase the seagulls!


C and Nanny S.


Family Trait!


Playing tag with Dad.
(I think DH is trying to figure out how to get up the stairs!)

Taking a break!  (It didn't last long.)

Mom trying to play tag!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Cannot wait to see pictures of the dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as though you all have been very busy, learning lots. Goldens are wonderful dogs and I'm sure she will work well for y'all. We have 4 goldens that come to the store for daycare everyday, they are such gentle dogs and very bright.

    I enjoyed seeing the pictures and placing faces with your names and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fun pictures, Kaylene. The #2 dog is the one I chose for the poll. Lucky guess. I think Golden's are very pretty dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. I can tell that everyone love C. The dog will too.

    ReplyDelete